Saturday 16 January 2010

FUGLY ALBUM ARTWORK

An entirely random selection, this: I just went through my collection and picked one or two others currently out there.

You often don't think about this when just enjoying the contents of an album, but an album cover can be an opportunity to sell the music really effectively/ineffectively, and sometimes they really mess it up! There are some dreadful album covers out there. Really, I don't know how the record company allows them out into the world.


Cocorosie, Noah's Ark

I'm a little lost for words with this one, actually. Except that it reminds me of the output of all the most annoying girls I went to art school with.

Regina Spektor - Far

Twee! Plus poorly executed with colouring reminiscent of someone just learning to use photoshop. And I should know, I am just starting to use photoshop and I am this bad. I hope Regina did this herself, because if this was a professional she needs her money back. I hate the font choice too. Damn, now I feel guilty! Regina has a lot of feelings, it's like insulting a sensitive puppy.

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther

Great album, terrible cover. Some sort of poorly-photographed performance art piece involving too much papier mache and velour.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

This isn't that awful. I just see it hyped as one of the best album cover of all time, and I have no clue why. Any ideas? Look sort of blah to me.


U2 - No Line on the Horizon

I do hate U2, so I may be biased on this one. Great idea fellas, you are really thinking outside the box on this one! U2 have always been good at lame, faux-deep puns.


Cat Power - The Covers Record

Now Cat Power I love, so I promise no bias, but I find this cover to be sucky. One of those dead meaningful art pieces that I tend to just find icky. I feel it has no correspondence with the music at all. I turn this cover round the other way, and then I get a picture of the luminous Chan Marshall instead.

The Beta Band - Heroes to Zeroes

Ok so I suspect they're trying to be ironical with this one, but if it looks like the sort of thing that a 15 year old boy in graphics class would consider a good idea then you should probably steer clear.

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

What springs to mind here? Eww.

Air - Love 2

Boring, boring, boring. We know what you look like, Air, and that you are thoughtful. You are also French because you are wearing a cravat. Well done.


Phew. Now I have let out all that vitriol, anyone else have some covers they consider especially sucky?

Soon we ought to cover good album covers, to avoid descending into bitterness and scorn entirely.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, excellent. The Midlake one looks like an outtake from a Larping weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LARPING! the story someone (tunde?) told me about going Larping for a weekend and essentially spending the whole time pissed on mead without a clue what was going on is quite legendary

    ahem

    i like the DJ Shadow one (though I don't like DJ Shadow) - it's hip-hop for record shop geeks, and the cover shows record-shop geeks. fitting

    ReplyDelete